What Is Shredded Storage:
Shredded Storage is going to help us with BLOBS (Binary Large Objects).
- It’s reduces the network IO by shredding the document into smaller pieces and reassembling when someone requests it.
- It reduces the amount of data saved in content databases.
- It decreases the amount of network traffic between the web servers and the SQL servers.
- Allows for faster backup of content databases.
- A User can open a cached document, and start working with it before it is completely downloaded.
- Documents are uploaded to the server in the background.
Shredded Storage is on by by default. It can be disabled or enabled per web application. BLOBs are not shredded on an upgrade. Shredded Storage is independent of RBS.